Chinese Language Center offers a quarter program with 4 sessions a year; namely spring, summer, fall, and winter. CLC designs various types of classes for beginner, intermediate, and advanced learners. Each class includes training in Chinese listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Also, along with non-scheduled cultural activities, our program allows students to experience and explore Taiwanese cultures.
Class hours are 3 hours a day 5 days a week, from Monday to Friday, 15 hours a week in total. The learning hours are regulated by the government.
Above the age of 18 or with a high school diploma.
The schedule is subject to change without notice.
Students with a need for a visa are advised to apply one month before the deadline.
The quarter classes start either in the morning or afternoon, 3 hours per day, 15 hours per week. The maximum of each class size is 12. There are 6 levels. Usually one class for each level. Sometimes two classes to a certain level. The classes of different levels are in the morning or afternoon.
The major textbook
● A Course in Contemporary Chinese 當代中文課程
● Far East Everyday Chinese 遠東生活華語
● Practical Chinese Reading and Writing 實用中文讀寫
● Modern Chinese for Thai Learners 現代華語
● Learning Chinese with Newspaper 讀報學華語
● Practical Business Conversation 實用商業會話
● Materials edited by CLC, Soochow University 自編教材
The tuition fee is TWD30,000. The new student will be charged an application fee of TWD500. Repeating students will get a 10% discount on the tuition fee. The expense of textbooks, accommodation, and visas are excluded from tuition. International students and exchange students of Soochow University enjoy a special discount. Group enrollment also enjoys a special discount. Contact us for details.
Tuition Fee Refund Policy
1. Refund 90% of the tuition fee before the classes start.
2. Refund 50% of the tuition fee before 1/3 of the course duration.
3. No refund if the course is over 1/3 of the course duration.
4. No refund for fees other than the tuition fee.
STEP 1 Have the required documents ready
All applicants check the starting quarter only(see the note).
- Online application form: Check one quarter only and specify how many quarters you plan to take. The maximum is 8. For Huya Enrichment Scholarship(MOE) applicants, the maximum is 4, and click here to apply online.
- Your passport ID page with at least 6 months validity.
- A colored 2x2-inch headshot photo, taken within 3 months.
- A photocopy diploma of the highest degree(in Chinese or English only, no need for transcripts).
- Proof of your financial statement with at least US$2,000 dated within 3 months. Supported by parents, guardians, family members, or others, one should enclose their supporting announcement.
STEP 2 Application Online for Admission Letter
Read the directions and start the process.
STEP 3 A Health Certificate for a Learning Chinese Visa Application
After receiving the admission letter, move on to apply for a learning Chinese visa. However, due to a previous tuberculosis outbreak on many campuses in Taiwan, starting from June 2023, all short-term Chinese language students are required to submit relevant health examination reports as part of their learning Chinese visa application. This document's validity must be done within 3 months. It is mandated by the Ministry of Education. The school also checks this document before students' entry to Taiwan.
The requirements for the health certificate are as follows.
- Applicants whose nationality is from Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and Mongolia should go to the designated hospitals(Links) for the health examination and get a report from them.
- Download the Short-term Study Health Examination Form (Download Form C). The examination items include
- A. Chest X-ray for tuberculosis screening and
B. Positive antibody test or vaccination certificate for measles and German measles (rubella). Those who have received vaccinations should bring relevant documentation.
- If the applicant is unable to complete the aforementioned requirements in their home country, they can choose to undergo the relevant examinations at a designated hospital in Taiwan at their own expense within 14 days after entering the country. However, if a case of tuberculosis is diagnosed, the applicant will be responsible for the subsequent medical expenses.
- If the applicant refuses to provide the relevant health examination report, the center will reject their application for enrollment to the program and the dorm in accordance with the law, and the fees already paid will not be refunded.
- The Taiwan government stops paying the COVID medical bills to all foreigners without National Health Insurance starting on January 1st, 2023. All foreigners must prepare a COVID medical insurance policy, required by the MOE, to cover their entire staying period.
Other Program Policy
- Failing to report and register at our center within the first two weeks of classes leads to the cancellation of your admission and accommodation reservation. Limited exceptions might be granted for notification in advance.
- Not acceptable of cutting in classes after the program has already started for more than a month.
- The Summer quarter(the month of May to early August) is a time for the high demand for accommodation. Send in your application 6 months ahead if you plan to come in the summer quarter and need the housing service.
See what our students have to say about our quarter program.